Monday, March 1, 2010

Guitar fretboard workout

It has been almost a week since I last worked on the Britten arrangement; however, I have been participating in the creation of some new Tetanus Rig material. During these group writing sessions I have noticed the positive influence of piano lessons and composing by hand. I feel like I already have more of a grasp of the theory and a greater sense of the potential for note choices. It makes sense that composing and playing music more often is an effective way to study theory.

I spent about ten minutes figuring out what the Britten arrangement thus far would sound like. After convincing myself that it was okay, I wrote some more of the guitar chords with a vague idea of the direction that I wanted the melody to take. It is a familiar trait of the guitarist to strum some chords first and come up with a melody second. I feel the need to break away from this, although in a way I have already started with piano lessons and composing by hand. Already I am becoming much more aware of the actual notes on the guitar fretboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment