Friday, March 5, 2010

Goal setting and spotting gems

I read a great article in Computer Music magazine today that explained the importance of scheduled composition time. It referred to the composition process as an exploration of musical fragments, where the composer has to sort through them and decide which to accept and reject. The idea of composing regularly is to practice this sorting process and become quicker at it over time. In other words, the more composing you do, the easier it is to find the ideas you'll want to keep. Inspiration comes with training.

I did some goal setting today using Aleks Srbinoski's Fulfilling Happiness (I composed the music for this program- to hear some: follow the link, scroll down and click "Sample 1"). It is overwhelming to discover how planning a few major outcomes for the near future can influence so many factors in the present. The main thing for me to keep checking is that the goals are achievable and the process of achieving them is enjoyable.

The most relevant goal to this blog is that I reach a point with the Britten arrangement where I can start seeking out people to perform it in July. I am thinking this point will be a complete movement of at least 10 mins in length. I want to compose more movements, but I figure if rehearsals begin earlier I will be able to uncover major problems and write more efficiently after developing a rapport with the players. I will be repeating this goal to my close friends so that they know come July whether I deserve my birthday drinks or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment