Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Reason as a compositional tool

I am becoming more confident in my abilities on the piano and now find myself composing on it as the instrument that the composition will be performed on. It think it is also useful for me to seperate the process of scoring the individuals parts for ensemble works seperate to this piano composition phase.

I have spent the last few nights composing on a MIDI keyboard hooked up to Reason. I have just been hitting record and playing for the whole 40 minutes, improvising and experimenting with different note combinations, and being free to leave decisions about what is worth keeping until some later point. There is still a lot of conscious effort being put in during this time trying to find the best ways to put notes together, and the beauty of recording everything is that I will get a chance to hear more of the unconscious playing when I listen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment