Monday, July 5, 2010

Composition Diary Mk II

After months of not posting, I have decided to reevaluate my goals and start composing regularly again. Given my reasons for creating this blog, I can understand how the lack of entries appeared as a sign of me abandoning composing altogether; however, this was not the case. It was more my attitude towards composing that changed during this time. I became too concerned with achieving the end result and lost sight of why I commited to doing 40 mins of composing a day in the first place.

The main problem was trying to sequence the ideas I already had into a bigger piece. I became very frustrated when the individual sections didn't join smoothly and ended up dreading the whole composition process because of this! It is very easy to become uninspired trying to work through a composition from start to finish. Your unconscious mind does not work like that. The whole point of the 40 mins is to give the compositional part of the brain a workout and to train it to generate states of flow and inspiration automatically. It is a time to get as many ideas down as possible without thinking about whether or not they're up to scratch. Chances are they are all up to scratch. You should thank your critical mind for all the fantastic unique work it has helped you create in the past and ask it to find new ways to help you that are less negatively stressful during any creative process.

I am now looking forward to composing often and approaching it with a sense of fun and adventure, integrating all aspects of my life (=learning) and noticing the states of inspiration as they come more frequently with practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment