Sunday, February 21, 2010

Mahler 8 - Love as the creator

I spent 40 mins composing a single bar of the Britten arrangement tonight. The main difficulty I faced was in picking it up from where I left it last time - about three quarters of the way through a phrase. I'm never exactly sure where a phrase should end; most times I probably end them prematurely. This isn't a major concern though, as these composing sessions are about getting all the ideas down and evaluating them later. You have to work hard to gain a wealth of material, whilst not worrying too much about how it will be shaped into the finished product. In terms of obtaining a finished product, it is useful to have a deadline to work towards. At this stage, the Britten arrangement isn't established well enough in my mind for me to think about a deadline. Once I spend more time manipulating the initial motives and phrases, a broader structure or outline for the piece might start to materialise.

I experienced some more Mahler played by Vladamir Ashkenazy, Sydney Symphony and several choirs and soloists at the Opera House last night. It was Mahler's Eighth Symphony, which is renowned for the hundreds of singers and musicians required to perform it. The choral parts were the highlight for me. I was really impressed with the choirs' precision and control. From the softest to loudest dynamics, their tone was always consistent and clear. I also intend to write a review on this performance, so I'll save any elaboration on the actual content and my reaction to it until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment